Many of our patients ask us for ideas for a healthy and quick breakfast. Oklahoma is ranked last in the nation for fruit and vegetable consumption! Many of us fall short in getting the recommended ½ plate serving of fruits and vegetables for breakfast. If you’re one of these people, a smoothie may be the answer for you!
A Quick, Easy, and Healthy Breakfast Option!
To make this delicious breakfast smoothie, all you need is a blender, some fruit and veggies, and water. The fruit and veggies can be kept in the freezer so there is no waste.
This recipe works well for us in the morning and takes less than 5 minutes to make. Plus, it has minimal clean up and you can drink it on the go!
The book, Smoothies Bible, by Pat Crocker is a good resource for other recipes, considerations for different health conditions, and to learn the nutrition for various fruits and vegetables. GreenSmoothieGirl is a helpful resource for additional recipes. Be creative and use the ingredients that work the best for your health!
Kris and Michael’s Morning Smoothie Recipe
This recipe serves 2 (one 16 oz cup per person- we use Eskimo Joe cups, but I am sure others would work well too).
- Fill blender with 16 oz. of water
- Take out frozen fruits and veggies: We keep a plastic container in the freezer with bags of fruits and veggies to quickly grab all the items we need. You can make your own single serving bags or buy smoothie packages in the freezer section at the grocery store.
- Add 2 handfuls of a frozen green veggies (spinach or kale work great)
- Add one frozen banana: We find it helpful to cut the bananas into 2 inch pieces before we put them in freezer.
- Add 1 to 1 ½ cups of frozen berries: We use blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries.
- Add some protein: We like to use a handful of almonds and 2 scoops of protein powder.
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into 2 cups and enjoy
To clean up afterwards, just rinse out the blender. It’s that simple!
We hope you try this healthy and quick way to help your body get what it needs to start the day.
Make an Impact on your health!