It may feel nice to sit & relax, but too much can hinder your health!
Sitting for an extended period increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, anxiety, depression, diabetes, varicose veins, DVTs, and some cancers. Not only does it increase our risk for these chronic diseases, but it also weakens our muscles and causes weight gain.
Our bodies are made to stand upright because everything functions better that way! Standing, being active, and exercise can help our muscles, bones, and bodily functions.
Why do people sit more?
Easy, electronics! Many of us are guilty for sitting on our phones for lengths of time, but those that work office jobs spend an extended time hunched over their computers. This position can cause many problems, including stiffness in the neck and shoulders.
How do I stay off my backside?
- Take a walk for meetings versus sitting in a conference room.
- Get a hi-lo desk so you can stand periodically while working.
- Take breaks from sitting every 30 minutes.
- Take a walk on your lunch break.
- Stand while watching TV or talking on the phone.
- If possible, position your home workspace over a treadmill to stay active. https://www.impactrehabwellness.com/exercise-is-medicine/